From Carleton Moodle Docs
- Automatically captures and attributes experience points to students' actions
- Block that displays current level and progress towards next level
- Report for teachers to get an overview of their students' levels
- Notifications to congratulate students as they level up
- A ladder to display the ranking of the students
- Ability to set the number of levels and the experience required to get to them
- Images can be uploaded to customise for the appearance of the levels
- The amount of experience points earned per event is customizable
- Page to display the list of levels and a description
- Experience points are earned per course
- An event is fired when a student levels up (for developers)
How are experience points calculated?
This block listens to events triggered in Moodle and captures some according to pre-defined rules. It then attributes experience points based on the information contained in the event. For more information about the events, refer to the dev docs dev:Event_2.
Only the users with the capability block/xp:earnxp can earn experience points. This capability is given by default to students. Also actions triggered by guests, non-logged in users or administrators are ignored.
The following events are always ignored:
- Events from another context than course or module
- Events having another educational level than participating
- Events flagged as anonymous, e.g. in an anonymous Feedback
The rest is up to you. By default the plugin comes with a minimal set of rules to attribute experience points to actions, and to ignore some redundant ones. Visit the Rules page in the plugin itself to view or override them.
Note: Repeated actions within a short time interval are ignored to prevent cheating.
How to use one block for all courses
In order to gather experience points from all the courses a student is participating in, you have to set the admin setting Where are experience points used? to 'For the whole site'. This setting is located under Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Level up!". Once set, any block newly or previously added will display the total experience points of your student.