From Carleton Moodle Docs
Depending upon which enrolment methods are enabled for the site (by an administrator in Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins), some or all of the following are available within a course:
- This enables users to be enrolled manually in Course administration > Users > Enrolled users.
- It allows the teacher of the course to manage individual or collective enrolment to their course themselves - for example: if a new student arrives to class unexpectedly with just a login to the site, they may be enrolled by the teacher into their course without any input from an administrator.
- See Manual enrolment for full details of how this can work in your course.
- This allows users to enrol themselves into a course, either directly or via an enrolment key ("course password") The teacher does not then have to manually add students.
- More than one instance of the self enrolment method can be used so that when users enrol themselves they are assigned different roles e.g. certain users can be assigned the role of student and other users can be assigned the role of non-editing teacher
- The self-enrolment method also allows for users to enrol themselves into groups by using a group enrolment key.
- See Self enrolment for full details of how this can work in your course.
- This allows users who are in another course to be automatically enrolled into your course as well. An example might be if a Moodle site has a course for "Staff Only" and a course for "Moodle Help". If the "Staff Only" course is added to the "Moodle Help" course with the course meta link plugin, then every time a new member of staff joins the "Staff Only" course, they will automatically be enrolled in the "Moodle Help" course as well.
- Teachers can only select from courses in which they are teachers when using this method.
- See Course meta link for full details of how this can work in your course.
Managing enrolment methods
Managers and teachers (and any other users with the capability moodle/course:enrolconfig) can manage enrolment methods in Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods.
- To add a new method, select it from the dropdown menu.
- To remove any unused enrolment method, click the delete icon (X) opposite it.
- To temporarily disable an enrolment method, click the show/hide icon (an eye) opposite it. (This ensures that the settings are remembered if the enrolment method is later re-enabled.)
- If several self-enrolment methods are enabled, the order in which they are listed for users wanting to enrol can be changed with the up/down arrows.