From Carleton Moodle Docs
- A user may view their own full profile from the user menu top right. They may then personalise the display by clicking the "customise this page" button at the top right of the screen.
- A student or course teacher may see the course profiles of users by clicking their names in Navigation>My courses (name of course)>Participants Teachers can then access the full profile by clicking the link "full profile" at the bottom of the course profile (if allowed. See 'Viewing full profiles' below).
- An administrator may additionally access and view full profiles via Administration>Site administration>Users>Accounts>Browse list of users.
Full (site) profile
Depending on what the user has added to their profile, this gives information such as first and last access, general interests and links to individual course profiles. Users may be messaged from the button at the top of their profile.
A manager or anyone with the capability Capabilities/moodle/user:viewlastip will also see a link to the IP address from which the user last accessed Moodle.
A shorter version of users' profiles is available in the course and includes their role(s) and groups in the course and a link to message them. Those with the relevant permissions are also able to access the full profile from here:
Viewing full profiles
The full profiles of users listed as course contacts in the course description are viewable by everyone.
Otherwise, by default only admins and managers can view full profiles.
To allow everyone i.e. all authenticated users to view full profiles:
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles
- Click the edit icon for authenticated user
- Enter moodle/user:viewdetails in the filter box, then tick the checkbox to allow this capability
- Click the 'Save changes' button
To allow teachers to view full profiles:
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and click the 'Add a new role' button
- Give the role a name, such as 'Full profile viewer' and tick System as the context type where the role may be assigned
- Copy and paste moodle/user:viewdetails into the filter box then tick the box to allow the capability
- Click the 'Create this role' button
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles and click 'Full profile viewer'
- Assign teachers the role of 'Full profile viewer' by selecting them in the list of potential users on the right and then adding them to the list on the left
Site administration settings
An administrator can set the defaults for certain user profile fields from Site administration>Users>Accounts>User default preferences.
- Email display
- Email format
- Email digest type
- Forum auto-subscribe
- Forum tracking